Steve,

My advice is: have a lot of fun with this.

Simple games are often written directly to window (or screen) without a
traditional GUI framework, because the GUI framework adds size, complexity, and
indirection to your control of the screen. Many games will just implement their
own minimalist (or fake) GUI as needed for game menus. But you can do a full
GUI in a game, if you want.

To answer some of your questions: lots of languages are well setup for games,
you may want to try a few and decide which you prefer.  On a browser, if that
is a requirement, will narrow your field down quite a bit.  OpenGL is great but
you only need it if you intend to do 3D, which is a bigger undertaking than 2D.

I have gone to great lengths to make Unicon suitable for game programming, but
as for how well it competes that is for you to say.  In addition to Graphics
Programming in Icon, and the 3D facilities in the Unicon Technical Report and
the Unicon Book, folks interested in game programming in Unicon may want to
look at

http://www2.cs.uidaho.edu/~jeffery/courses/328/ub-game.pdf

which is unfinished but pretty extensive.

Lastly, regarding eval(), we do not have a direct native eval() function and
one is not in the immediate offing.  Multiple "eval" clones have been built for
Icon and/or Unicon in the past, the most detailed perhaps was Bill Mitchell's.
Last night I debugged an issue raised by the latest eval() experiment (Brian's,
I think), the code for which is being reviewed for sanity. His approach is to
write the code to be evaluated to a .icn file, compile it, load it in with
load(), and execute it.  It will probably be a bit faster and more interactive
that way than previous eval() efforts.

Cheers,

Clint