Status Update:

  While not done yet but the progress that has been made so far is enough
to allow people to give the new changes a try. Basically, what we are
trying to do is move a way from any "manual" configuration where end users
don't have to edit files to define this or enable that to control whether a
particular feature is enabled or not.  We are also leaving no chance of
guessing on the end user part to get the correct configuration for an
underlying platform. The configuration script should be able to figure it
out on its own in the vast majority of cases. We will update the
documentation on the website in the next few days on how to build or
configure Unicon moving forward. The instructions are easy, checkout the
sources and just do:

./configure && make

And  that is all you need (crossing fingers).

You only need to call ./configure the first time you build and after a
"make Pure" which resets everything. Make sure to call make Pure if you
need  fresh start or if their are major updates including to the build
system itself.

./configure --help tells you everything you need to know, most features can
be turn off by --disable-FEATURE

for example ./configure --disable-concurrency will allow you to build
without concurrent threads. By default all features are turned on as long
as the dependencies are met. You can also disable a particular linked
library. For Example, assume you want graphics but don't want JPG support
for some reason (you want a smaller iconx maybe)  then you can do:

./configure --without-jpg

in summary, --disable is a feature level control while --without is a
library level control. Of course some of these libraries might be
dependencies for a feature, for example, on Linux, doing --without-xlib
will end up having the same effect as  --disable-graphics. It is
recommended to control things at the features level unless you want a finer
granularity control for some reason. Don't forget:

./configure --help

The changes have been tested on a few systems so let us know how it goes on
your particular platform. This work has not been made compatible with
Windows yet, but it is  on the road map.

Happy configuration, and most importantly, Happy Unicon coding!

Cheers,
The Unicon Team