At 09:59 AM 11/7/2005 +0100, you wrote:

>   As I was saying >>>>> once a polygons "qualities" can be
>deter- mined , using boolean logic , then any number of
>operations can then be applied , from texturing to particles
>to displacement map- ing ... , the mind boggles at what can be
>done to a polygon in RS !

Hi

Don't start a project/material thinking about its gui. Think about what
you need it to do first, simulate the maths (spreadsheets are quite nice
for this, actually), make it happen, _then_ worry about the gui and
workarounds for this, and only if it is generalistic enough to have
reusability value in other scenes :-)

Hi Karl,

OK, that's where I am now: I got some practical results - that's what counts to me - and I found a workflow. I don't need a GUI but I'd like to see more more landscapes from other users and make the process more accessible... maybe a detailed tutorial is more useful than a user-friendly frontend. The whole thing depends on so many little things that it would be pretty useless to give a 'general recipe'. I don't like to give up the powerful scope feature in favor of a single material with a GUI frontend.

Maybe it is possible to create a landscape material thingy based on
booleans, but I would vote strongly against it due to antialiasing
problems with IF statements. Check the default checkerboard material
against the antialiased-checkerboard material found somewhere in the
installation. [...]

One problem is that this doesn't work with displacement. Decreasing bump height based on AA means losing the height information for the displacement. To avoid this, it would be necessary to go back to big hires poly meshes instead of displacement. Maybe not a bad idea, because then the slope information is more accurate too. The camera can probably get closer too. And you see the surface in real time.

Thanks for the detailed tips, I got them stored safely!

-Mark H