> The polygons are still pretty big even in a quarter-million-points mesh,
> you're asking for triangle artifacts this way... Example: a poly has a
> single slope value because it's flat. This needs camouflaging. The
> materials depending on slope should be 'smeared out' by adding some noise
> or something, if not the polys stand out too much. I actually saw that
> happen, it's not theory.

Hi Mark :

   Yes , I agree totally , and is actually what I meant about averaging
neighboring polygons , so as to eliminate a single poly from sticking out .
Yes , all sorts of disguising would be required , with noises being very
usefull .

   Sounds like I'm talking through my hat here , but I have done my share
of RS landscape stuff , years ago . Tried all kinds of things and got
some very good results too , but since VSL I haven't tried anything , but
have been keenly watching the list for renderings , and find your efforts
most interesting .

> A few more tips:
> - big meshes like 500x500 (250000 points) are NOT hard to render 5 min
> for a 800x600 picture is normal on a 1.5 GHz machine
> - lots of memory is nice, 1 GB or more
> - editing scenes with such big meshes can be very slow. Disabling Undo
> helps a lot (set Undo depth to 0 in Prefs)
> - don't convert triangular faces to quads.

> Maybe a big tutorial when we figured it all out... or a book: "How to
> attack a mesh with VSL" , that title will draw millions of readers ;)
> I'll keep you posted,
> Mark H

Great ! Thanks Mark .

Garry Curtis