http://www.realsoft.info/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=66
http://www.realsoft.info/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=115

Yes , I remember these examples as well . Also , I remember your
parting remarks :

More to come ... How to animate the UVs.
And...           How to create UVs after a heavy modelling session.
And...           How to paint on the created UVs.

"When is Daddy coming home?"

 Very wise of you to use a rectangle to show an example on . The
RS SDS UV mapping tools (mostly) are very good at mapping if you
stick to parallel mapping tools . Good for rectangles , and even
for square objects (if you're in a daring mood) .

The "Egg Cup" tutorial is also a good example of using a , square
parallel mapping on a round object . Very wise . RS will excel at
this , in theory , even though it's actual real-world working
style leaves much to be desired .

BTW: In my opinion "you" should think
about the difference between "connected"
and "separated" UV-faces, too. Very important
for SDS in "smoothed mode".

I can just imagine .

Have in mind that RS has UVW-Coordinates
(W is the UV-Coordinates Z-Axis, important
for using UVs with procedural textures  ;-)
not UVs only...
If that's not enough: You have the possibility
to combine different "layered" UVWs ;-)

Yes , but big deal . That's like saying "this multi-engine air
plane is fully equipped with pontoons" , when we are actually
flying over the Sahara desert on one engine .

garry