We are currently trialling SmartOS with Cassandra and have seen some pretty
good results (and the mmap stuff "appears" to work). As Rob said, if this is
production cluster, run with linux… there will be far less pain.

If you are super keen on running on something different from linux in
production (after all the warnings), run most of your cluster on linux, then
run a single node or a separate DC with SmartOS, Solaris, BeOS, OS/2, Minix,
Windows 3.1 or whatever it is that you choose and let us know how it all goes!

Cheers

Ben Bromhead
Instaclustr | www.instaclustr.com | @instaclustr | +61 415 936 359