Hi All

I am proud to announce we are making available our production build of
Cassandra 3.7 that we run at Instaclustr (both for ourselves and our
customers). Our release of Cassandra 3.7 includes a number of backported
patches from later versions of Cassandra e.g. 3.8 and 3.9 but doesn't
include the new features of these releases.

You can find our release of Cassandra 3.7 LTS on github here (
https://github.com/instaclustr/cassandra). You can read more of our
thinking and how this applies to our managed service here (
https://www.instaclustr.com/blog/2016/10/19/patched-cassandra-3-7/).

We also have an expanded FAQ about why and how we are approaching 3.x in
this manner (https://github.com/instaclustr/cassandra#cassandra-37-lts),
however I've included the top few question and answers below:

*Is this a fork?*
No, This is just Cassandra with a different release cadence for those who
want 3.x features but are slightly more risk averse than the current
schedule allows.

*Why not just use the official release?*
With the 3.x tick-tock branch we have encountered more instability than
with the previous release cadence. We feel that releasing new features
every other release makes it very hard for operators to stabilize their
production environment without bringing in brand new features that are not
battle tested. With the release of Cassandra 3.8 and 3.9 simultaneously the
bug fix branch included new and real-world untested features, specifically
CDC. We have decided to stick with Cassandra 3.7 and instead backport
critical issues and maintain it ourselves rather than trying to stick with
the current Apache Cassandra release cadence.

*Why backport?*
At Instaclustr we support and run a number of different versions of Apache
Cassandra on behalf of our customers. Over the course of managing Cassandra
for our customers we often encounter bugs. There are existing patches for
some of them, others we patch ourselves. Generally, if we can, we try to
wait for the next official Apache Cassandra release, however in the need to
ensure our customers remain stable and running we will sometimes backport
bugs and write our own hotfixes (which are also submitted back to the
community).

*Why release it?*
A number of our customers and people in the community have asked if we
would make this available, which we are more than happy to do so. This
repository represents what Instaclustr runs in production for Cassandra 3.7
and this is our way of helping the community get a similar level of
stability as what you would get from our managed service.

Cheers

Ben

--
Ben Bromhead