More compactions meaning "rows to be compacted" or actual number of pending
compactions? I assumed when I run nodetool compactionstats the number of
pending tasks would line up with number of sstables that will be compacted.
Most of the time this is idle, then we hit spots when it could jump into
the thousands and we and up being short of a few hundred GB of disk space.