If you drop window size, you may force some window-major compactions (if you go
from 1 week windows to 1 day windows, you’ll have 6 days worth of files start
compacting into 1-day sstables).

If you increase window size, you’ll likely have adjacent windows join (if you
go from 1 day windows to 2 day windows, nearly every sstable will be joined
with the one in the day adjacent to it).

Short of altering compaction strategies, it seems unlikely that you’d see huge
jumps where you’d run out of space. How many tables/CFs have TWCS enabled? How
much space are you using, and how much is free?  Do you have hundreds with the
same TWCS parameters?

If you’re running very close to your capacity, you may want to consider
dropping concurrent compactors down so fewer compaction tasks run at the same
time. That will translate proportionally to the amount of extra disk you have
consumed by compaction in a TWCS setting.