On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 11:55 PM, Kant Kodali <k...@peernova.com> wrote:
> Looking at this
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/16/oracle_targets_java_users_non_compliance/?mt=1481919461669
> I don't know why Cassandra recommends Oracle JVM?

The long answer probably dates back to before the Oracle JVM was as
closely coupled to OpenJDK as it is now.  There were times when you'd
have to choose the sweet spot between a matrix of issues between
various versions of each, and Oracle often came out on top.

But that was in the past, OpenJDK is much more viable these days
(Cassandra works great with it IMO), and so the short answer is: It's
easier.  It's easier to test and reproduce with one version, and then
recommend that version to everyone.

> JVM is a great piece of software but I would like to stay away from Oracle
> as much as possible. Oracle is just horrible the way they are dealing with
> Java in General.

I don't really have any opinions on Oracle per say, but Cassandra is a
Free Software project and I would prefer that we not depend on
commercial software, (and that's kind of what we have here, an
implicit dependency).

--
Eric Evans
john.eric.ev...@gmail.com