Hi Asad,

The 5000 ms is not configurable
(https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/8b3a60b9a7dbefeecc06bace617279612ec7092d/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/net/MessagingService.java#L423

<https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/8b3a60b9a7dbefeecc06bace617279612ec7092d/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/net/MessagingService.java#L423>).
 This just the time after which the number of dropped messages are reported.
Thus dropped messages are reported every 5000ms.

If you are looking to tweak the number of ms after which a message is
considered dropped then you need to use the write_request_timeout_in_ms.  The
write_request_timeout_in_ms
(http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.1/cassandra/configuration/configCassandra_yaml_r.html

<http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.1/cassandra/configuration/configCassandra_yaml_r.html>)
 can be used to increase the mutation timeout. By default it is set to 2000ms.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Akhil