I'm running into this issue too and it doesn't seem to care about the
J2EE version of the app being deployed. Shouldn't the behavior be that
this only happens if the app in question is a JEE5 app ? Is there a
check in the code to branch around the additions to the plan for  JSF
related stuff  ? Unless the spec says that JSF support must be
implemented in a way to break J2EE 1.4 compatability. I think it
should allow J2EE 1.4 apps to use <hidden-classes> and  include their
own JSF impl.