Hi Ning,

I'm personally running HBase in production with only 8 nodes.

As you will see here: http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/PoweredBy
some are also running small clusters.

So I will say it more depend on you need than on the size.

I will say the minimum is 4 to make sure you have your factor 3
replication and some stability if a node fails, but you might be good
also with 3.And there is almost no maximum.

Regarding memory, the more, the merrier... Ỳou also need to make sure
you have many disks per server. Forget that if you have just 1. I'm
able to run with 3, but it's limit. 5 is a good number, and some are
running with 12...

Again, it depend if your application is more read intensive, or CPU
intensive, etc. Can you tell us a bit more about what you want to
achieve?

Thanks,

JM