Hello there,

        IMHO, 5-8 servers are sufficient enough to start with. But it's all
relative to the data you have and the intensity of your reads/writes. You
should have different strategies though, based on whether it's 'read' or
'write'. You actually can't define 'big' in absolute terms. My cluster
might be big for me, but for someone else it might still be not big enough
or for someone it might be very big. Long story short it depends on your
needs. If you are able to achieve your goal with 5-8 RSs, then having more
machines will be a wastage, I think.

But you should always keep in mind that HBase is kinda greedy when it comes
to memory. For a decent load 4G is sufficient, IMHO. But it again depends
on operations you are gonna perform. If you have large clusters where you
are planning to run MR jobs frequently you are better off with additional
2G.

Warm Regards,
Tariq
cloudfront.blogspot.com