Hello,

We're building an application using mainly tree, more then real graphs, but
with sometimes some specific relationships between nodes of different trees.
We're kind of trying to use Neo4j for extended OLAP things (like including
an external dimension (i.e. a tree) inside another dimension (i.e. another
tree))

We're really happy with Neo4j, and this mail about "what would you like to
have for trees" is even better :)
Thanks a lot !

Here are some tree-features we would love to have (I can explain more some
of them if needed) :
 - As we can "embed" a tree to another, an "isTree" feature would be great
to ensure the resulting tree will not cause some infinite loop. For now
we're using the shortPath GraphAlgo between the two nodes to link
 - We need some ranking in the trees. As relationships are not ordered, we
solved this by adding 3 relationshipTypes in addition of the usual "child"
relationships. New relationships are "first child", "last child" and "next
child" between each child. Because of this, we can't use typical traversal
if we want to traverse the tree in the right order. (Same thing if we used a
rank property instead of new relationshipTypes)
 - In a graph, "delete cascade" behaviour is dangerous, and I think I
already saw some mails about that. But for trees, a "delete cascade"
features makes sense I guess

To answer more specifically to the question about queries, here are our
typical queries :
 - Retreve a tree from a node and for a defined depth
 - Find the aggregation of a complexe operation executed on every child node
recursively (the complexe operation can use properties or other types of
links
 - Filtering results obtained by the previous query
 - Exclude some nodes in the tree for some calculations

Hope all this will help, and thanks again for Neo4j :)

Christophe.

Andres Taylor wrote