I  would see entity engine and service engine as separate modules.

Each module should have clearly defined api defining how they interact
with the outside world.  A clearly defined api will facilitate
swapping parts.  For example, the entity engine could be replaced with
a hibernate based engine as long as the api was implemented.

(also there would be a module for Birt)