Frank W. Zammetti wrote:

On Mon, April 18, 2005 11:12 am, Emmanouil Batsis said:

I haven't really studied the samples yet, but it would seem more
semantically correct to me if the html:form was used to make this work.
I'll try to come up with more concrete suggestions.

I thought of that too, but what changed my mind is the question of how do
you handle it if you want to have a number of different elements doing
different things. For instance, if you have three <select> elements and
you want one to populate a <textarea> with text retrieved from the server
when changed, another to pop up an alert with a message from the server
when changed, and the other to go to the URL selected with a query string
appended on that is generated by the server when changed... If the
functionality was tied to the form, how would you allow for that?

Good point, but my perspective is focused on basic 80/20 functionality and fallback behavior, plus proper semantics (the last one just as a practice that usually pays back). To clarify, i support implementing this in (or on top of!) the existing html taglib and start specifically from the html:form simply because it's the only way to include proper fallback behaviour for UAs unable to handle the client side of things by making a normal form submission. For this to work however, the action has to know whether it has to send back the complete document or the document fragment. I'm looking for a way to meaningfully make all this easier.

Also, i don't think the client side of things can be left as a developer's choice for the same reason the validator scripting is not a developer's choice; there is no way to manage the complexity of that in a usefull way. That's why i'm offering the sarissa code to be put under the Apache license; about 18 versions have been published since early 2003 (long before the ajax hype), it has an active and healthy user/developer base, is well documented and is used by other open source projects like OSCOM's Kupu editor.

Manos