I'd suggest adding a preprocessing command which recognizes the SOAP header, as Frank described, and instead of forwarding, simply sets a key/value pair in the ActionContext which other commands can interpret. Then later, you could extend the PopulateForm class to look for the flag and to do its population process based on SOAP data instead of request parameters.

Yep, that's what I was talking about in terms of changing things... extending classes isn't changing them of course, but it's still not the "insert some commands and your done" that I was hoping for. I suppose it's not that bad really, I was just hoping for simple insertions into the chain config.

Well, the difference between extending PopulateForm and putting a command after it which re-populates in the case of a SOAP request is small; the only caveat being that in the add-a-command-after model you must do it after or the existing PopulateForm action would clobber your efforts -- subclassing eliminates any questions about the ordering of events.

How does the strutsws kit respond to form validation failures? Is the "input" path overwritten when you clone the ActionMapping? You could keep doing that, or you could use the same model described for the forward, that is indicate the failed-validation-path in a property set in the ActionMapping.

Typical caveats apply, but I think that would handle it. I'm not totally sure how I feel about a practice of changing the forward config in the process-view chain, but I can't see any other way you'd handle it without having to bind your code a lot more to the specific fact that it might be used in both ways.

Agreed. As it stands now, I'm doing some rather dicey things to make it all work, specifically I'm thinking of the cloning of the ActionMapping and altering it on-the-fly for exception handling. So, what you suggest is better in terms of "proper-ness" at least :)

I don't know nothing about properness ;-)

It's interesting to have some more complex use cases to test the chain model against...

Joe

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "Narrow minds are weapons made for mass destruction" -The Ex