Joe Germuska wrote:
I'm not sure I think that would be nice ;-) Seems kind of risky, in that it adds a lot of indeterminacy. That's the main reason why lots of us are down on request chaining too.

Just talking about the chain pattern generically... think about trying to implement a recursive problem with a chain implementation... by definition you'd want to do the equivalent of restarting the chain, right?

Now, if you want to make the argument that resursive algorithms are somewhat risky, I would tend to agree :) Has never stopped me from using one when appropriate though.

That's a gut reaction, but without more demand for it and more consideration of possible side effects, it's not something I'd be likely to implement for fun on a Saturday afternoon or anything...

And certainly I have in no way thought this through completely. Plus, I'll repeat my refrain once more: I'm not up to speek on chain and 1.3's usage of it in particular at this point. I may in a few days come to the conclusion that it's a horrible idea myself :)

Joe

BTW, we are probably creeping into struts-dev turf on this thread here...

Well, I'll tell you what... when I feel like I'm up to speed and know what I'm talking about (whether I actually do or not!), if I still think my first thought was right, I'll raise the idea on the dev list (commons dev I'd think is more appropriate). Like I said, a few days from now I may be completely off the idea :)

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect