The error indicates that you compiled for a jvm newer than the tomcat
runtime. For instance you compiled with 1.6 and you are trying to run
on 1.5. Stick to tomcat 5.5 if that is what godaddy provides. The
tomcat version doesn't indicate its newness as much as it indicates
which servlet / jsp spec it implements. To save yourself a headache,
match major/minor version numbers between your dev and production
environments. To see the setup I was talking about earlier you can
find patch files in svn somewhere that show how I set it up on the
struts zone. The advantage is in its simplicity. I am sure it could be
optimized for better performance, but I like to stick to simple over
premature optimization. I am on my BlackBerry, so when I boot up my
laptop I can send an example config.
-W

Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice