On 13/12/22 16:55, Lionel SCHWARZ wrote:
----- Le 13 Déc 22, à 16:13, Francesco Chicchiriccò ilgro...@apache.org a écrit
:

On 09/12/22 15:52, Lionel SCHWARZ wrote:
Dear all,

Could someone explain me how dynRoles works? because I found something strange
and am not sure if I missed sthg or not...

I have created a role with "dynMembershipCond" based on users having a certain
relationship. This works fine as after creating the role, all users that have
this relationship got the role in "dynRoles".

However, when I then create a new user with such a relationship, it does not get
the the role (and if I then update the role, the new user gets it!)

Is there anything more I need to do at creation, or something I misconfigured?
Hi Lionel,
dynamic (group or role) membership is a weird feature, as it basically saves the
results of a user query (e.g. the dynamic membership condition) every time that
either the group  / role or user are saved.
Unfortunately, it has proven to perform decently only with small numbers.

Every time a user gets saved, all existing Roles with dynamic conditions are
considered to see if the user is matching so that the saved query results are
updated.
Similarly, when groups or roles with dynamic conditions are saved, a query for
all users matching the condition is run, again to update the saved query
results.

The case you are describing above might be possibly not working because of the
condition based on a "dependent" element as a relationship, so the matching
process is failing in first place (e.g. when the user is created) but is
succeeding later (e.g. when the role is updated).

You might want to try using a different condition, based on a user attribute, to
see if that works for new users as well.
Thanks Francesco for your answer.
What do you mean by "small numbers"? Should I forget about dynamic roles for a
database of 5K users for example?

The number that counts much in your case is the number of roles with dynamic
membership condition.

I'd suggest anyway to execute some performance tests to understand if the
feature is actually fit for your use case.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence