On 16/07/2012 at 00:26, "J.A. de Vries" <hdv.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone advise me on how to fix this behavior?

I could not reproduce your issue. I am using Debian testing, amd64, KDE 4.8.4.
I have installed LO 3.5.5 downloaded from LO page, run it and compose key
(which is right-Ctrl here) is working fine.
If this is not architecture/LO version dependent (you did not provide
information about it), then:
how did you map your compose key? In KDE system settings or through
dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration command?
I have set mine through dpkg-reconfigure. I did not touch any KDE settings.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski