Another "Best Practice" example about how to structure a project into Maven projects with libraries and dependencies to avoid the "Big Bang" theory of deployment.

Ron

Perez Ronen wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to migrate a Java application built by Ant to Maven2. among other
the build perform the following operations:

1) Running a javadoc doclet to find annotated Java files to be externalize
later as web services
2) compile a small part of the code for step 3
3) run Axis java2wsdl on the compiled code from step 2
4) produce java code with wsdl2java on the wsdl files from step 3
5) compile the entire code

when trying to "mavenize" the process I can accomplish each task at a time but
fail to achieve them all in that order.

to demonstrate my pom and not load you with details I'll show the following
snippet:
<build>
<plugins>
    <plugin>
        <version>2.6.1</version>
        <executions>
            <execution>
                <id>aggregate</id>
                <phase>generate-sources</phase>
                <goals>
                    <goal>aggregate</goal>
                </goals>
                <configuration>...</configuration>
            </execution>
        </executions>
    </plugin>
        <plugin>
        <version>2.1</version>
        <executions>
            <execution>
                <id>compileWSfiles</id>
                <goals>
                    <goal>compile</goal>
               </goals>
               <phase>generate-sources</phase>
                <configuration>
                    <includes>
                        <!-- include 3 source files -->
                    </includes>
                </configuration>

            </execution>
        </executions>
      </plugin>
          <plugin>
        <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
        <artifactId>axistools-maven-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>1.3</version>
        <dependencies>
          <dependency>
                <groupId>axis</groupId>
                <artifactId>axis</artifactId>
                <version>1.3</version>
          </dependency>
        </dependencies>
        <executions>
            <execution>
                <id>java2wsdl</id>
                <phase>generate-sources</phase>
                <goals>
                    <goal>java2wsdl</goal>
                </goals>
                <configuration>...</configuration>
            </execution>

             <execution>
                <id>wsdl2java</id>
                <phase>generate-sources</phase>
                <goals>
                       <goal>wsdl2java</goal>
               </goals>
               <configuration>...</configuration>
             </execution>
        </executions>
    </plugin>
</plugins>

I pinned all of the build executions on the generate-sources phase and as far
as I know they should run in the order they are defined in the pom.

The main problem is that I have no control on the order of things and it is
obviously important here as every step output is the next step input.

any suggestions?

Thanks, Ronen.

"This e-mail message may contain confidential, commercial or privileged information
that constitutes proprietary information of Comverse Technology or its subsidiaries. If
you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any
review, use or distribution of this information is absolutely prohibited and we request
that you delete all copies and contact us by e-mailing to: secur...@comverse.com. Thank
You."