For the most part, I agree with Wayne's sentiment.

We did it in stages, and even now it isn't fully adopted. Like just about
everyone else, before Maven we were using ant. A number of more agile projects
which had more empowerment heard about Maven and just tried it on their
projects. Some of these projects were fairly small and others were pretty
large. The important part is that the developers decided to do it themselves
and were thus committed to it. It worked well, and word began to spread amongst
the grass roots of the development community.

It was key for us that it happened in a grass roots fashion. Wayne mentioned
earlier that you should try and get higher level org buy in. But I don't think
that really ever happens. The grass roots, or the pigs (for those that are
familiar with scrum terminology) are the ones who start the change. Once you
hit a certain critical mass, larger parts of the org start to follow suit.

A meritocrocy approach, while slow, is generally the best way to get buy in. If
you force it, everyone will hate it and not be very productive.