http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relation_composition

group.id.composition.spring 2.0.6
 -> spring-beans 2.0.6
 -> spring-context 2.0.6

group.id.composition.spring.persistence 2.0.6
 ->group.id.composition.spring 2.0.6
 -> hibernate 3.1.3
 -> spring-hibernate3

group.id.artifact.a X
 -> group.id.composition.spring.persistence [2.0, 2.1)

group.id.artifact.b Y
 -> group.id.composition.spring [2.0, 2.1)

group.id.aggregation Z
 -> group.id.artifact.b Y
 -> group.id.artifact.a X

when building aggregation - think war or ear - you get a graph with a common
composition element when it resolves you only get one of those and the
resultant transitions down the graph

I will concede the logging artifacts as OT but you may see me on commons
later ;-)

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 23:28, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Michael McCallum wrote on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 1:15 PM:
> >> Why? Only with dependencyManagement you're able to manage transitive
> >> versions.
> >
> > In order to keep clean dependency graphs I have used standard
> > OO principles to
> > encasulate functionality in this case I will use spring as an example.
> >
> > Spring provided many artifacts. I have many projects that use
> > different groups of spring projects so I have pulled the spring
> > dependencies
> > out into two
> > compositions one that deals with contexts and the other persistence.
>
> [snip]
>
> You still did not explain, what "composition" means. It's no word used in
> standard Maven terminology. Your description does not make it clear what
> you *actually* have done.
>
> [snip]
>
> >> Commons logging has a different philosophy. But this is OT
> >
> > for this list.
> > If the difference in philosophy means more difficulty in
> > managing dependency
> > graphs then its not OT for this list but very pertinent.
>
> It is OT, since it is up to the Apache Commons community how they carve
> their artifacts. And splitting an artifact into 6 where 5 of them contain a
> single wrapper class is where philosophy starts. You may discuss this at
> Apache Commons.
>
> - Jörg

Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer