Alexander Christian wrote:
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 14:56:25 +0100, Emmanuel Lecharny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
Exactly. You buy speed by having an unreliable transport. That's somehow
fair, if you can accept loosing packets (for instance to transmit voice
or video, as you can fill the blanks ...).

Sure, but in some cases, there's only UDP possible and additional there are
requirements for a reliable connection.
The you have to handle all the packet reordering and the missing packet re-request yourself.
Another "pro" for UDP is the possibility for "UDP holepunching".
You can also do TCP hole punchin :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_hole_punching
<snip/>
Another question:

Is it possible to use the same protocol codec filter as I use now, and then
put an additional filter between the networkinterface and my codec, so that
this filter does the split to a propriate paket size, manage the
reliability and the order of pakets?!
this is the idea : you can add as many filter as you need in the chain. You can even insert a filter dynamically, without breaking the whole system, even for a single session.
If this would be possible, this would be "nearly" protocol codec
independant (except that a already "protocolled" message would be broken
into sub-pakets).
You can for instance use the splittingFilter for session based on UDP, but not for session based on TCP.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org