Hi,

> Currently we are not in a position to update to 1.1.8 as the change would
> require a upgrade of legacy software.
>
> With just 1.1.5,based on the below, it has been mentioned that it is ok to
> use "Server" for state saving. Based on this, can you clarify that
> encryption is not required for server state saving.

No, unfortunately this is very unsafe - one should never use myfaces
with unencrypted ViewState. An attacker can exploit the (useless, as
it's a simple string) deserialization of a crafted ViewState token that
MyFaces performs. This is almost certainly exploitable for remote code
execution (<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYFACES-4021>).

regards

Moritz

--
AgNO3 GmbH & Co. KG, Sitz Tübingen, Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRA 728731
Persönlich haftend: