Rory O'Farrell wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 15:29:11 -0700 John Hart wrote:
There's something strange about this email, it doesn't have the
unsubscribe message

I suspect this happens when the mailing list management software gets
confused by the message format (e.g., it converts from some obscurely
formatted HTML to plain text, but then it doesn't append the footer
correctly). But this is just a theory, I haven't verified it.

I have seen it suggested that some of the 'irregular' OpenOffice
download sites automatically log the downloaders to the User list to
'honour' their assertion of 'support' and justify the fee they charge
for the download.
I don't know if this is so, and cannot remember where I saw the
suggestion (possibly on an Apache ML?)

The theory (but we have no evidence) was:
- user usern...@gmail.com gives his e-mail address to an unofficial download site; say this is example.com - the site creates a user123...@example.com e-mail address and subscribes it to the list (sending a subscription request, then approving) - the site turns the user123...@example.com address into an alias for usern...@gmail.com ; so usern...@gmail.com is "subscribed" to the list through this alias.

Honestly, I don't believe this happens. If it did, we wouldn't be able to manually unsubscribe users when they complain (we would see the "alias" but not the real address); and we would see a lot of users subscribing from a strange domain (and we have no reports about that).

Of course, if we had any evidence of the former mechanism to be exploited, we would promptly take action. But so far this seems to be only a theory: it is simpler to assume that people subscribe by mistake; we can look into making the welcome messages simpler and clearer, so that nobody can misunderstand what he is doing when he confirms subscription to this list.

Regards,
  Andrea.