Vincent,

### To download NeoOffice, do this: ###

Click the App Store icon in your dock. When the window opens, type "NeoOffice"
in the search block in the upper right corner of the window. Click on the "Buy"
tab at the bottom.

If you want to keep track of the download, click on the "Purchases" tab at the
top of the App Store window. You'll see a progress bar indicating the state of
the download.

When the download finishes, go to the "Downloads" folder; it should be on your
Dock in the near vicinity of the Trash basket. Open the downloads folder, and
double-click the NeoOffice .pkg file. It should unpack and start the
installation dialogs. Just follow the prompts in the installation window, and
it'll install.

After it is installed, go to the applications folder in the Finder, find
NeoOffice.app, and drag the icon to the Dock.

Click the icon in the doc, and Neo should open. (Note: It'll take some time for
the initial opening while Neo loads all the fonts and does computer stuff in
the background. After that, opening will take less time (I don't care to know
why). It takes MUCH less time than MS Word to open.

Now sit down and read all you can about Styles. See the help file, and the
NeoWiki listings. Learn Styles well; become fluent. Styles is the heart and
soul of the word processor, and they make life a whole lot easier. There are
Page styles, Paragraph styles, Character styles, Frame styles, and Graphic
styles. At least become familiar with all of them, and what they can do. Google
"styles in NeoOffice" to see a wide assortment of articles.

### Okay, to check up on that font problem, do this: ###

Open the Finder. Just so we're looking at the same stuff, select View -> as
Columns (Cmd-3).

In the left pane of the Finder window, select Applications. You should see all
applications that are in the Applications folder listed vertically in
alphabetical order. Scroll the column down until you see the Foot Book.app.
Double-click it.

From this point forward, all window references will be to the Font Book menu:
The left column begins with "All Fonts." Select your language here. Under
"Smart Collections," I have available "English" and "Fixed Width." Select
"English."

Moving now to the second column, scroll down to see whether your "missing"
fonts are present. They may be on your system, but are just turned off in Font
Book. I had this problem with Mavericks having turned off my Century Schoolbook
font.

From here onward, I will assume that you've found the font family that went
missing. I will further assume that it is Arial, just to provide an example.

Select the Arial font. Now, right-click on it to show the context menu. (If
you're using a touch pad, then a two-fingered click will do this. On a
single-button mouse, Cmd-click will do it.) This menu provides the choice to
Enable Arial. Select that. You want to right-click again, this time select
"Resolve Duplicates." It sounds like you may be running into font conflicts;
this should clear it up.

Now, quit OpenOffice and restart it. See if the above procedure fixed the
problem.

You'll have to do this even if you download NeoOffice, because the fonts that
are available are controlled by Yosemite, not the OO application.

Note that NeoOffice is derived from OpenOffice's open source code. It has a
clean Aqua interface, and is much more Mac-like than AOO. It is maintained by a
single engineer, Patrick Luby. Technical support is available at
http://trinity.neooffice.org for $100/year. You may want to consider that. I
once had a problem with NeoOffice losing my inserted photos. I posted to the
tech support forum, then uploaded my problem and a sample doc to Bugzilla when
requested. Ninety minutes later, Patrick had a test patch available for
download that fixed the problem. Doesn't get much better than that. Patrick has
a couple of people who provide part-time help in analyzing and testing
problems, but he's the only coder; that's why he charges $100/year.

Since NeoOffice is a spin-off of AOO, it operates the same. But it looks
better. With respect to document operations, what works in AOO will work in
Neo, and vice-versa.

Regards,

Jim