I have the same problem but it's not going away.

In Windows 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.1.

My laptop has been shutting itself down due to overheating. I want to open
my OpenOffice files, however - I've clicked on 'open office writer' - and
it gives me the Recovery screen, but it struggles to open things and
freezes. Then I've used Task Manager,  and tried to open it again, three
times now, and it's still locking up, with the white screen.

Got ideas?

Linda