Steven,

I just tried both, and with and without the <> and got the same results: **Expression is faulty **.

Thanks for the help.
Girvin

On 07/13/2017 03:47 PM, Steven Ahlers wrote:
Givin,

Have you tried a "," or a ";" instead of a ":" ?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 13, 2017, at 3:11 PM, Girvin Herr <ghe...@fastmail.com> wrote:

Greetings,

I have a Writer document with about 50 rows in a table. At the bottom of the table, I
want to sum the above column of cells in each row (a total). Currently, the only way
to add a new row or rows to this sum is to add the cell reference(s) (i.e.
|<J47>) to the long string of cell references to sum. Is this the only way,
other than dragging from the first cell to the last cell?

I tried =sum(J2:Jn) and even =sum(<J2>:<Jn>) but that just displays a formula
error message in the sum cell.

I would like to be able to add rows to this table as needed and have an easy
way to add the new cells to the sum. A way of specifying a range of cells is
perfect. As I now do it, the more rows I need to add, the more tedious and
error-prone this process becomes.

Thanks.

Girvin Herr