On 07/14/2017 03:34 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
<snip>
Aha! I wasn't using the Sum icon, and it does indeed lead to a formula listing the cells in the range individually - instead of as a range. I don't see why this should be. This indeed makes subsequent dragging problematic. And I now see where your parentheses come from. Instead, try this:
o Put the cursor into the cell to contain the total.
o Press F2: you will see an equals sign in the Formula Text window.
o Add just the three letters "sum" - nothing more - to read "=sum". (Er, certainly no parentheses!)
o Now just drag over the range of cells.

You should now see just =sum<B1:B50> , and the dragging I proposed before should now work for modifications.
<snip>
Good-oh!

Brian Barker

Brian,
Yes! That worked. Now the =sum<B1:B50> formula sticks and is not converted to the long form. I don't know where the long form started. This is an old template that I have been using and I no longer remember how I initially created the sum. However, now that I know how to use the range form, it is sticky and consistent. I can simply edit the range with F2 whenever I append new rows to the table. I also see that the range changes with a new drag, rather than appending the new range to the long form list. That is an option now too. So, the key is to stop using the sum icon from the toolbar and use F2 instead.

Thanks much. Now I have to change my templates...
Girvin