On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 14:53 -0500, webmas...@krackedpress.com wrote:

> On 01/06/11 11:19, Dan Lewis wrote:
> <snip>
> >      One thing I did not mention. First you need to remove all
> > applications of Ubuntu OOo using Synaptic. (openoffice in the Quick
> > Search box). Two things to check at the same time: the package name
> > contains a reference to OOo, and the Installed version is Ubuntu. All of
> > these need to be removed. Some of the installed programs such as
> > hunspell or myspell do not have to be removed.
> >      Once you have done this, use the script to install OOo. This will
> > update any Deb OOo installation from the OOo website including the menu.
> >      Specifically, I used this script to update OOo from 2.4.0 to 3.3.0
> > RC8. I only changed the name of the folder where the latest installation
> > files were located. I have never had any installation problems with the
> > menu entries. They always get updated.
> >
> > Dan
> So what you are saying is I need to uninstall/remove OOo before I
> install the new version?
>
> I removed the OOo version that is part of the repository [Go-oo] and
> removed the .openoffice.org folder after that.  The next thing I did was
> installed the OOo 3.2.1 OOO320m18 (Build:9502) version from the OOo web
> site.
>
> After that I started to look at what extensions I wanted to reinstall,
> for now.
>
> So are you telling me that I will have to go though something the same
> when I go from 3.2.1 to 3.3.0.1?

    Nope, I'm not saying that at all. At this point you think you have
uninstalled the GO-OOo version. All you need to do now is to run the
script I mentioned. It will install OOo and the menu entries.
    Any time you want to install a new version, change the name of the
folder contains the DEB folder to the name of the new version and save
the script. Then run the script.
    If you get an error message that the menu can not be updated, that
is because you still have the desktop part of GO-OOo installed on your
computer. Only then should you open synaptic to remove it. If this
happens I would do what you quoted at the top of this email. Then I
would run the script again to install OOo. This time you should not get
any error message.
     Once all of the GO-OOo version has been removed, you don't have to
worry about it until you upgrade your Ubuntu OS.  When you got to a
newer version of Ubuntu, a newer version of GO-OO is installed. Remove
all parts of it, and you will not have any problems using the script to
installing OOo.

Dan