Michele wrote:
I also tried reproduce the problem and I will make another guess:
When applying a character style OOo only applies those settings that
are *in the character style definition* different compared to the
default character.

Well, this is what I see. I select some text, change it to red, and create a "Red" character style from the selected text. I then select text in a footnote and apply the Red character style. The text size changes in addition to its color. I then select text which already has the "First Bullet Word" character style and apply Red to it. Part of the "First Bullet Word" style is being bold. After applying Red, the boldness is gone.

Do you not see this same behavior? If not, can you please describe how you created your new character style?

Thanks,

Scott