Scott Meyers wrote:
Is there a way to remove character characteristics from a character style? For example, given the character style I created from a selection above ("Light Red + Georgia + 11pt"), is there a way for me to remove the 11pt specification so that the resulting style is "Light Red + Georgia"?
Yes, but... it's a pain in the bum. It is possible to go into the xml behind a document, open the styles information and modify (insert screams of horror from readers). In my experience, best bet is to delete the character style and recreate it, taking extreme care to NOT accidentally set any unwanted characteristics. Yup, definitely an area that needs work.

You might (no promises) find this document useful:

http://nomesquelife.wordpress.com/files/2008/03/ooo-writer-for-tech-writers.pdf

It's a document I've written for tech writers in our company, then modified for a more general audience. It's not fantastic, by any means, but might give you some clues about sticky OOo functionality.

- Naomi