If it's not composum, then it's file-vault or JCR related, which is even more
concerning.

I'm pretty confident this isn't user error. I've given consulting
demonstrations, teaching others the ins and outs of file-vault XML-to-node
translation, the various complex rules one can combine, and also written
code that dynamically assembles valid file vault packages to be POSTed to
CRX package manager, which I believe also uses file vault under the hood...
I'm really quite aware, in general, of how this thing should work. Of course
I could be missing something, but if this is user error, then it's something
esoteric and imperceptible, something very different than the CRX and file
vault I'm used to.

Here's what I'm doing:

1) click "+" to create new package
2) click filter tab and "+" to create new filter
3) give root path "/content" and save with default Replace Import Mode and
empty filter set
4) Click Build

Result: empty content directory in the package. Nothing in the log file.

I suppose as a next step I can split all com.composum logs to a separate log
and set that to DEBUG level and watch for things... Maybe do the same with
org.apache.jackrabbit.vault.

One plausible possibility seems that my /content data might be in some
invalid state such that file vault can't/won't read it?? I'm really grasping
at possibilities at this point.