On Feb 21, 2007, at 3:02 PM, Kris Deugau wrote:
-> (at least, once Bayes was part of SA <g>) feed missed spam back into Bayes manually to complement the autolearning (which worked pretty well for me, and without which I'd have very VERY little ham learned at all).

I spent about a year training a good bayes corpus on one account, and leaving bayes disabled on two others. The difference in spam caught was a fraction of a percent, and when spammers started including technical mailing list chatter into their bayes-busting e-mails I started having lots of false positives on the bayes-enabled account. It simply doesn't pay off.

Most third-party rules are scored to get spam over that threshold of 5 largely because, IME, most people seem to be quite happy to leave it at 5; if you're running a lower score, you WILL see FPs unless you *drop* the scores on some of the heavier rules. I probably saw at one point; what scores are these FPs getting on your system?

7-9. The reason I run at 3.8 is because I have 0 - none, null, void - FPs in between 3.8 and 5.0. The very few FPs I see are SPF failures which I score fairly harshly, and that starts at 7.0.

I used to have low FPs on code segments until I relegated the chickenpox rulesets to 0.1 each. In fact, I plan to run a ruletest because I never see chickenpox on real spam, so I'm pretty sure those rules are useless now.

I've had ONE customer that I ended up dropping the threshold to 4.8, because they kept getting spam that was *just* under 5. (I think I bumped it back up to 4.9 because of FPs. *sigh*) IIRC they're also the only customer that regularly seems to get pornspam (tagged or otherwise).

I can't imagine running at 4.8. A quick check confirms that greater than 600 spam messages would have hit this mailbox today. That's just this one, and nevermind hostmaster/webmaster/etc that get nailed harshly.

I don't have that kind of time.

--
Jo Rhett