Den tis 16 jan. 2024 kl 19:58 skrev Trent Fisher <trent.fis...@oracle.com>:

> On 1/14/2024 2:52 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2024 at 2:27 PM sean <s...@rogue-research.com>
> <s...@rogue-research.com> wrote:
>
> On 2024-01-13 16:11, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>

> There are not many compelling reasons
> to use Subversion anymore, except the ability to check out only
> subdirectories from a branch and the insistence that a single central
> repository is the only source of truth.
>
> The ability to `svn lock` files is very useful if your repo has a lot of
> non-mergeable files, like say MS Office documents.
>
> I have never once found that feature to be useful since I first used
> Subversion back around 2001.  Mind you, I'd treat Word documents as
> binaries objects and not consider them suitable for incremental
> changes in a source control system.
>
> There are numerous documentation teams who I have worked with over the
> years who would differ with this. Version control is essential for their
> files (they may not be able to directly compare them, but they can tell
> when changes were made and who made them), and having locking is the only
> way to make this work (which is one of the reasons why Git will never work
> for them).
>
> However, I would agree with you that binaries generated from some other
> source document is not appropriate for version control (e.g. checking in
> PDF versions of documents), but Word documents are the primary source
> documents, therefore needing version control.
>
> Before I got these teams on to SVN, they were storing everything in a
> shared folder with numerous old copies of each document laying around (e.g.
> foo.doc, foo.doc.old, foo.doc.1jun2013, foo.doc.bak, etc), which is an
> accident waiting to happen.

TortoiseSVN, the Windows client, has some scripts that actually allow
"diffing" of Word and Excel documents. It is not perfect (and big
formatting changes can really throw you off) but it is quite good and helps
if you need to use DOCX or XLSX as your "source". For Word, it uses a
built-in comparison feature and for Excel it uses conditional formatting to
highlight changes.

Kind regards,
Daniel