On 8/27/2013 3:26 PM, Propes, Barry L wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Mikusa [mailto:dmik...@gopivotal.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:22 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Question about usernames being case insensitive

On Aug 27, 2013, at 2:52 PM, Michael Spring <spr...@pitt.edu> wrote:

I have observed using tomcat 7.027 and 6.026 an issue with BASIC
authentication.
My intent was to have both user names and passwords be case sensitive.
I know of nothing
I did that would change that.  The database table is plain vanilla.
Passwords are case sensitive,
but upper or lower case usernames work.  Is there any way to prevent this?

Operating systems are windows 7 and windows Server 2008R2 both 64 bit.

Have you checked to see if your database is causing this behavior?  Perhaps
connect directly to the DB and issue the same queries that Tomcat would issue.
Then check to see if those are case insensitive.

Dan

This was my guess as well. Would you have some kind of procedure in the DB that
forces upper or lower to the username value?

Or the db may simply be doing case-insensitive comparisons. Mine is configurable for that.