Pid wrote:
On 13/11/2013 14:53, Gurkan Erdogdu wrote:
Hello all,

When an Apache project founder[1] starts spamming the Apache community,
Sorry but how could you say "spamming the Apache Community"? without knowing me and how I have been contributing to the Apache community and projects?

It's obviously unsolicited commercial email, which is the common base
definition of spam.

It also seems to me that sending it falls below the standard that one
expects from members of the Apache community - I don't recall it
happening before.

To add maybe a final note to this thread :

From further analysis, it seems that in order to send these undoubtedly spam emails, Gurkan seems to have used the services of an organisation which, according to their own website at least (http://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/) is taking some steps to insure that their lists of recipients would not be spread further.
Whether this was intentional or not, that is to his credit.

As an information professional, I feel however that I should add that this is far from being the general case, and that in my experience it happens frequently that such recipient lists are subsequently copied, re-distributed, re-sold or "leaked" to other related-or-not entities, even by organisations which very ponderously /pretend/ otherwise on their public website (or in public hearings, for that matter).