Thanks Igal

mt> OpenJDK is very close to the Oracle JDK these days. I regularly run
mt> Tomcat's unit tests with the latest OpenJDK and have yet to find an
mt> issue that is OpenJDK specific.

is> I asked Gil Tene about this a couple of weeks ago.  Gil is a co-
is> founder of Azul Systems, an OpenJDK committer, and on the Executive
is> Committee of the JCP.  My understanding from him is that there is no
is> JDK development outside of the OpenJDK.  The Oracle developers that
is> work on the JDK commit directly to OpenJDK.  Oracle might add some
is> other things when they package their edition of the JDK for
is> distribution, but the JDK itself is the same one from OpenJDK.

Good to know.

is> The main problem with the rapid release cycle and six month support
is> is that due to late adoption, many of the bugs in a given Java
is> release are only discovered after more than six months of the release
is> date.  That means that the free support will end while bugs and
is> vulnerabilities are being discovered, forcing many organizations to
is> pay for support.

Or frequent Java installations.

RAMBLE: Too bad there can't be an Apache OpenJRE umbrella project, with
specific Apache OpenJRE [version X] sub-projects, that maintain JRE [version
X]'s indefinitely.  One source (Apache) for all the different JRE's for the
Java community at large, rather than depending on a bunch of different
companies.  The OpenJRE source code could pull from the OpenJDK repository.  A
potential issue could be back-porting bug fixes from later versions into
earlier ones when the source code base has shifted drastically, making merges
difficult.

--
Cris Berneburg
CACI Lead Software Engineer