Cris,

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 9:28 AM Berneburg, Cris J. - US <cberneb...@caci.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Mark
>
> mt> The argument for a JRE vs a JDK is that the JDK includes
> mt> a compiler. The only reason Tomcat can run on a JRE and
> mt> still support JSPs (which require compilation) is that
> mt> Tomcat includes a Java compiler. I don't think the
> mt> security argument holds much water.
>
> I had not thought of that, and you're right (literally technically
> speaking).
>
> RAMBLE: However, if I try to look at it from a point of view of a large
> bureaucracy, of which I am largely ignorant, I would not be surprised if
> there is a policy against dev kits and IDE's on production servers for
> security sake.  Tomcat (whisper: with built-in compiler) is approved, but
> is the JDK allowed?  Guess I can ask.  Yeah, it's potentially a
> "distinction without a difference".  Well, unless there are other tools in
> the JDK that can pose security risks in addition to the Java compiler.

As Mark pointed out Jasper compiles JSP into Java bytecode and it has been
like that for years.  Every other popular web technology works in a similar
way, be it ASP.NET, PHP, NodeJS, etc. so I really don't think that that's
an issue.

There is only a security vulnerability if a bad actor can inject code, or
upload malicious source code that will be compiled by your application, but
again, that has been the case since the beginning so deploying over JDK
doesn't change that.

I'm sure that there is a way to build OpenJDK without the javac component,
or at least it can be achieved with minor changes if needed.

Igal

p.s. So happy to see that you finally moved from Tomcat 6 to 8.5.  Perhaps
you can share that experience in a separate thread and let others know if
you ran into any major problems during that process.