Cris,

On 10/17/18 12:28, Berneburg, Cris J. - US wrote:
> Thanks Mark
>
> mt> The argument for a JRE vs a JDK is that the JDK includes mt> a
> compiler. The only reason Tomcat can run on a JRE and mt> still
> support JSPs (which require compilation) is that mt> Tomcat
> includes a Java compiler. I don't think the mt> security argument
> holds much water.
>
> I had not thought of that, and you're right (literally technically
> speaking).
>
> RAMBLE: However, if I try to look at it from a point of view of a
> large bureaucracy, of which I am largely ignorant, I would not be
> surprised if there is a policy against dev kits and IDE's on
> production servers for security sake.  Tomcat (whisper: with
> built-in compiler) is approved, but is the JDK allowed?  Guess I
> can ask.  Yeah, it's potentially a "distinction without a
> difference".  Well, unless there are other tools in the JDK that
> can pose security risks in addition to the Java compiler.

Hard and fast rule: no compilers.

Well, except for EJC, Perl, Python, PHP, *sh, and a host of other
things capable of running code.

It's a checkbox security "feature" that is all of meaningless,
ineffective, and inconvenient. These days, most servers have all the
code you'd already ever need to "compile" and run an exploit even if
there were no compiler there. All you need is a nice, vulnerable
pre-existing binary.

https://crypto.stanford.edu/~blynn/rop/

> mt> OpenJDK is very close to the Oracle JDK these days. I mt>
> regularly run Tomcat's unit tests with the latest OpenJDK mt> and
> have yet to find an issue that is OpenJDK specific. mt> mt> Tomcat
> runs happily (and is supported) on a JRE. mt> mt> If the JRE has
> passed the Java TCK then Tomcat should run mt> on it. I don't think
> there is an official Tomcat position mt> but my expectation is if a
> Tomcat bug (as opposed to a mt> Java bug) appears when running on
> any Java implementation mt> that has passed the TCK then the Tomcat
> team would treat mt> that as a Tomcat bug and fix it.
>
> All good to know.
>
> cjb> I am imagining spending all my time being taken up by cjb>
> Java upgrades with subsequent builds, regression testing, cjb> red
> tape, and deployments
>
> mt> I'd plan to stick to the LTS releases.
>
> Meh, not my call.  Whatever the Powers That Be decide for the
> production environment, I'll probably match that in dev.  If they
> decide LT$ is the way to go, using the JDK will cost nothing for
> my dev environment anyway.  But if OpenJDK and frequent updates
> are selected ... phooey.
They will decide to stick with Java 8, even though it's EOL. The
decision will be made because (a) "there are some incompatibilities
with Java 11 which are hairy to untangle" and (b) "Java 8 hasn't
caused a breach, yet, so we'll probably be fine".

Good luck!

I'm having trouble convincing a partner vendor to move from Java *6*
up to Java 8. *facepalm*