Thanks for the responses to my earlier post about websockets/JSPs.  Http/2 is definitely the right answer for my issue there.

HTTP/2 solved the problem with the throttling the multiple parallel requests with the browser connection limits.  But now opening that throttle has now exposed a different problem at the server.  Quick refresh.... I have an app that does not have many concurrent users at this time.  However it does periodically have a very large number of concurrent requests (AJAX/REST) from a single client.

I now realize that with the browser limiting concurrent requests in HTTP/1.1, mod_jk was not getting overwhelmed.  But now that the floodgates have opened with HTTP/2, I realize that I have some serious configuration problems with mod_jk.  The requests are clogging up in mod_jk, timing out, and logging errors something like "cannot get endpoint for worker".  It then takes about 5 minutes for the clog to clear out before mod_jk is functional again for the other virtual hosts I'm hosting.

Specifics... I'm using Apache 2.4.33, Tomcat 9.0.  I tried to download the latest mod_jk.so.  The latest mod_jk for httpd on the binaries download site is from 2016.  All the versions for the past 2 years are iis only... I assume that's ok???  So I'm using the 2016 1.2.40 version.

My question is.... how do I increase the number of 'endpoints' that mod_jk has access to?  Is that a TC configuration or workers.properties setting?  I want to make sure mod_jk has enough resources/endpoints to pass (i.e.not 'block') all the requests it receives.  Once mod_jk is passing everything, I realize the flood might hit TC, and I may be back asking about increasing TC resources.  But for now, I just want to get mod_jk opened up.

Thanks again.

Jerry