Hi Neil,

Your suggestion sounded very encouraging.   Unfortunately, after adding the JVM parameter you suggested, there was no change.  Are there perhaps some log levels I could change that would provide more detailed information about what step it's hung up on for loading these web apps?

Thanks again.

Jerry

On 9/27/2022 4:50 PM, Neil Aggarwal wrote:
Is this related to the random number generator?

Take a look at this:
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E13209_01/wlcp/wlss30/configwlss/jvmrand.html

I read somewhere to use this so I put in in my JVM args:
-Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/./urandom

Thank you,
   Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, (972) 834-1565, http://www.propfinancing.com
We offer 30 year loans on single family houses!

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry Malcolm [mailto:techst...@malcolms.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2022 4:43 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Slow startup first time after reboot

I'm running Tomcat 9.0.56 in a production environment on AWS Linux2.  My
environment is 4 virtual hosts with about 9-10 web applications on
each.  The web apps are already expanded in the webapps folder.  So
there are no war file expansions involved. The first time after I reboot
the server each web app takes ~15-20 seconds to start up which is an
eternity to get the full Tomcat up.  But if I stop TC and restart it,
everything starts up in just a few seconds.  This same situation happens
on my local windows development machine with eclipse.  After starting
eclipse, the first TC start I watch the stdout log creep along saying it
loaded webapp xyz in 18 seconds... then loads the next web app in 16
seconds, etc.  But if I stop TC and restart, immediate quick load.  No
errors or anything.  No messages about taglib searches that I've seen.
Simply starting a web app msg, wait 18 seconds.... completed.   It's now
gotten so bad in production TC taking so long to start that the heath
checks are failing, terminating the server, spinning up a new one, and
the process repeats again.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks.

Jerry