Take three thread dumps 5s apart during the slowness and then diff them to see what is moving and what is not.

Mark

On 28/09/2022 07:30, Thomas Hoffmann (Speed4Trade GmbH) wrote:
Hello,

could the underlying hardware cause the delay?
Maybe the OS has cached some data and don’t need to read it from disk again?

Maybe you can check the IO and CPU load during startup and compare.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Jerry Malcolm <techst...@malcolms.com>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 28. September 2022 04:54
An: users@tomcat.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Slow startup first time after reboot

Neil,

Sadly, that line doesn't appear either with or without the java.security.egd
option.   That appears to be a lump sum  of 4-5 minutes for the
SecureRandom seed thing.  I'm getting a total accumulation of ~5
minutes.  But it's made up of a bunch of ~15-sec web starts.  See example
below.  Same two lines from Catalina.out from the first boot and a second
boot.

One other clue I've noted.  The quick boot occurs on an immediate
stop/start.  I have noticed a couple of times in Eclipse that if I stop TC and
leave it stopped for a while, it goes back to the long startup. It sounds like
something related to loading modules/jarFiles.  On an immediate restart the
JVM wouldn't have time to unload modules before they are needed
again.  But a new loading of some module on each web app might be what's
killing it (??)

   JVM Version:           11.0.16+8-LTS
   JVM Vendor:            Red Hat, Inc.

Auto-startup of TC on EC2 startup:

28-Sep-2022 00:15:55.612 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment
          of web application directory
[/var/domains/wridz.com/webapps/idmanager] has finished in [16,991] ms
[1 example... ~20 more like it]

28-Sep-2022 00:18:40.818 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Server startup in [306666]
milliseconds

Reboot of TC

28-Sep-2022 02:28:45.854 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment
         of web application directory
[/var/domains/wridz.com/webapps/idmanager] has finished in [737] ms [1
example... ~20 more like it]

28-Sep-2022 02:28:51.476 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Server startup in [19795]
milliseconds