> From: Ralph [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: unable to access Tomcat Admin
>
> After starting the tomcat server, when I click on the Tomcat
> Administration link, I got the following error message just
> like before

Your browser has likely cached the page.  Refresh it.

> I typed  <http://localhost:8080/admin/index.html>
> http://localhost:8080/admin/index.html, which mysteriously
> brought up the signon page for the Tomcat Web Server
> Administration Tool with the background in purple.

Why do you think that's mysterious?  You referenced a protected resource
(even though it doesn't exist), so Tomcat diverted the request to the
configured login form.

> I typed in the admin username and password and would get
> HTTP Status 404
> The requested resource (/admin/index.html) is not available.

That's because there is no /admin/index.html.  After successful login,
Tomcat reran the specifed request, which correctly gets the 404.

> I also added
>   <!-- Link to the user database we will get roles from -->
>   <ResourceLink name="users" global="UserDatabase"
>                 type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"/>

Take out the above - it's pointless.

Just refresh the original page (http://localhost:8080/admin) in your
browser, or clear its cache.

 - Chuck