> From: Robert Dietrick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: where to place context configuration
>
> I would very much prefer to use only the one in
> mywebapp/META-INF/contex.xml

I hope the above is a typo, because if it's really in "contex.xml" Tomcat won't
look at it.

> But this doesn't seem to work.

It works fine for me; I put the <Context> element in one location or the other,
not both.  Note that Tomcat will sometimes copy the one from
META-INF/context.xml into conf/Catalina/[host]/[appName].xml during a
deployment, and that's likely what you're seeing.

> Plus, it just seems idiotic to need to declare the context
> and its resources in two locations.

Never had to do that.  Suggest that you stop Tomcat, remove the one in
conf/Catalina/[host], clean out the work directory for the webapp, clean out
the expanded webapp so all you have left is the .war file, and restart Tomcat.
You will likely see the one in conf/Catalina/[host] recreated from the
META-INF/context.xml, since Tomcat wants to be able to read the file directly.
A real undeployment of the webapp should delete the one in
conf/Catalina/[host]; if you're updating the .war without doing an undeployment
first, you're breaking the rules, and all bets are off.

> Does either of these files need a 'docBase' or 'path' parameter?  It
> doesn't seem to make a difference either way.

You may not use path or docBase in either location; if you're lucky, they'll
just be ignored - don't chance it.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.