That's cool, but a little overkill for some use cases.

For instance, in a portlet-based portal application, you might have
individual portlets registered to the patterns
"/PortletInvoker/MyPortletName". We need the portal to access them, but a
user shouldn't be able to access a portlet directly from a URL like
"http://myserver/PortletInvoker/MyPortletName";, so I'd like to serve a 404
before that portlet (ie, the servlet that manages it) is hit.

Is there any simple solutions to this problem in Tomcat?

Thanks!