awarnier wrote:

> Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>> From: charliehnabble [mailto:nab...@hand-family.org]
>>> Subject: Re: chunked encoding
>>>
>>> Excuse me, by "packet" I meant IP datagram.
>>
>> Just a terminology nit: "datagram" normally refers to a UDP packet, and
>> we're using TCP here.
>>
> I'll add another nit: if the "router" is smart enough to split the
> request into headers and content, and in addition to insert an extra
> HTTP header, then it's not a simple router.  It's probably a HTTP proxy.
> And it doesn't like persistent connections..mm.
> Does it by any chance also downgrade the request to HTTP/1.0 ?

No, 1.1.

Here's my original header:

POST /BlackBoxServer/VR350 HTTP/1.1
Host:xxxx
Content-Length:263

And the modified header:

POST /BlackBoxServer/VR350 HTTP/1.1
Host:xxxx
Connection:Close
Content-Length:263

Looks like I should be sending connection:close anyway, since I'm through
with the connection after I get the response. Maybe it is connection:close
that makes Tomcat not send a chunk length. I don't know why Tomcat doesn't
put a content-length header in that case.

Here's Tomcats response to the request with the content:close:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:09:31 GMT
Connection: close

<?xml version="1.0" ?><S:Envelope etc, etc